Systems Engineer (Automotive) - Virginia Office
|JOB TITLE:||Systems Engineer (Automotive) - Virginia Office|
|DEPT:||Engineering - Virginia Office|
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners, through personal commitment.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization.
This position requires direct automotive engineering support to the US Marine Corps System Command and Program Executive Office Land Systems, specifically tactical wheeled vehicles. Under the Director of East Coast Operations, this position is responsible for assessing engineering and integration of systems, sub-systems, components, ensuring compliance with specifications and overall quality of design as well as evaluating ability of items to meet requirements. Scope of responsibility includes all facets of systems, ancillary systems (e.g., electro-optical and other component devices, guidance systems, and counter-measures suites), and other component products responsible for performing technical tasks, accomplishing engineering and analytical assessments, and ensuring the quality and content of technical products.
- Assesses engineering and integration of systems, subsystems and components.
- Evaluates and applies knowledge of automotive power-train systems, chassis systems and vehicle dynamics.
- Performs land mobility and mass properties analyses; and evaluates mobility test results.
- Applies results of performance modeling and analytical assessments to support cost/performance and weight trades and to validate overall system performance.
- Studies and reviews reports on similar or related tests in order to obtain necessary background data for assignment.
- Makes recommendations as to the feasibility of designs.
- Reviews formal contracts to ascertain if engineering requirements are adequately phrased and recommends approval or disapproval.
- Prepares test plans containing such information as type of test to be conducted, facilities required, proposed schedule, estimated cost of project, etc.
- Completes field tests on vehicles and components to acquire performance characteristics involving many individual tests but requiring consideration of the inter-relationships of the various results of the tests in evaluation.
- Conducts specific modified tests as required on modified components.
- Responsible for the scheduling of support personnel in and during the test.
- Directs work of personnel associated with the tests.
- Analyzes all technical data including instrumentation readings, calculations, deficiency reports, and graphs.
- Writes reports on tests conducted.
- Analyzes and evaluates data obtained with weaknesses or failures encountered and probable causes, suggests modifications and design change to any component.
- Contacts engineering, administrative and executive personnel to discuss and explain engineering and company procedural requirements, gives information concerning test or vehicle performance, solves minor conflicts, or secures additional information regarding test.
- Provides support to other Test Engineers and Program Managers.
- Travels as required by Company needs and directives.
- Relates well with employees and customers at all levels and at all times in a professional and personable manner.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Attends and represents company at trade and industry shows.
- Reviews and comments upon papers submitted by other Test Engineers and Program Managers.
- Assists in preparing, writing and reviewing technical proposals.
- Assists in all operations of Test Engineers and Program Managers.
- Assists in special projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field with a minimum of two (2) years of professional engineering experience.
- Able to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must have demonstrated experience providing technical leadership and expert guidance in the assessment of vehicle mobility.
- Must possess specialized skills in mobility systems.
- Must be able to articulate technical information and evaluations to non-technical personnel.
- Must be able to apply results of performance modeling and analytical assessments to support cost/performance and weight trades and to validate overall system performance.
- Must be able to manage more than one technical activity at a time.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, expressing ideas clearly and actively listening to thoughts and ideas of others.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills.
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
- Experience with military tactical wheeled vehicle platforms.
- Experience with vehicle performance, dynamic and behavioral characteristics when operating in on and off-road environments.
- Experience with finite element and performance models (e.g. Automatic Dynamic Analysis of Mechanical Systems (ADAMS), Dynamic Analysis & Design System (DADS), NATO Reference Mobility Model, Veh Dyne) is highly desired.
Additional Duties: This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Individuals with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources Manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
At Will Employment:
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee's employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors.